Captain Fun in action

Captain Fun in action

Monday, May 2, 2011

Yet Another Bridge

Today I went to work for Hewlett-Packard.  I'm thankful to be employed. I have been every single day from the time I graduated from San Diego State University in 1974.  I went to work at UCSD Medical Center and remainded there for 22 years.  In 1986 left to pursue an opportunity at Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) to work on the military medical system world wide. I had many other projects at SAIC without leaving the company as we had many contracts.  The last contract I worked on was the Information Technology (IT) outsourcing for the County of San Diego. When that contract expired and I got my termination notice it marked the end of stable employment in terms of who I worked for.

I have continued to work for the same customer, but under the banners of SAIC, BearingPoint, Eclat, Attain, and now Hewlett-Packard. With each bridge I have become a little less uneasy, but in a bad economy, with underfunded governments, lawsuits, buyouts, changing managing contractors, and narrow profit margins, you can bet the competition for work is fierce in my profession. Still, I am blessed to have yet another job. This contract ends 2017! That is good. Once again, however I start with all my co-workers at "new hire" vacation allowance: 10 days/year.  I get one new day for each year of seniority.  It will take me seven years to attain the vacation allowance I just left behind to accept this position. Lord give me strength,...and thanks for the job! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment