Captain Fun in action

Captain Fun in action

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Still Jammin

My parents started me on clarinet when I was in 5th grade.  It was that or join the choir.  The choir had girls and they made you stand right next to them, so cooties were inevitable and I just couldn't do it.  I'm really glad for music and the rich dimension it added to my life over the years.  After clarinet, sax, flute I took up guitar so I could play rhythm for the band in which I worked my way through college.  I loved woodwinds, but the everyday pracitce for lip exercise killed it when I had a family and full time job.  I gravitated to the guitar more and more....



I have been privileged to contribute to the worship team at EastLake Community Church on a rotation basis where we have a full professional production rock band presentation with video and internet feed to the multimedia worship services offered there. Here is the happy old rocker giving his best to embelish the various styles of worship and secular music we play as a "special" to introduce the sermon topic.  This can be challenging as we do authentic versions of say... Green Day's "Field of Broken Dreams" for a sermon on depression, hopelessness.... or Brad Paisely's "I'm Just A Guy" for Father's Day.



One weekend we did a Mowtown Era Rythm and Blues number complete with horn section.  The church unknowingly hired three guys I had worked with in the 70's: Jim Weis, Carlos Seranos, and Robbie Breen.  Talk about a blast from the past!  They remembered me from my sax days and were surprised to find me playing electric guitar doing comp and some lead fills.  Life is full of surprises.  Thanks to all of you musicians who have blessed me with your musical contribution to one of the many bands and memories of my life.  Keep on rockin and sharing the love!


No comments:

Post a Comment